Friday, April 16, 2010

9 Months and Bedrest

Last week at my OB appointment Dr. Martin wasn't thrilled with my blood pressure and with the amount of swelling in my feet, ankles, and hands. She did however like the results of my ultrasound. She said that my placenta still looked "young and vibrant" and not preeclamptic. She waffled about putting me on bed rest but said she would run some labs first and then make a decision. I got a cryptic message from her saying the labs looked good but to "Continue modified bed rest". I didn't know how to interpret the message since I hadn't been on any sort of bed rest yet, so I called the nurse Monday morning. Dr. Martin was on vacation this week, but the nurse said she thought it just meant to try to decrease my activity level and to take it easy after work. I went to my 36 week appointment Wednesday and the OB filling in looked at my labs, looked at my blood pressure and swelling and decided to pull me out of work and put me on official bed rest. He felt that I was showing all the indicators of preeclampsia and that by decreasing my stress and activity level, it might help stave the preeclampsia off a bit longer. This could maybe allow me to go into labor naturally before the preeclampsia develops instead of them inducing me because my blood pressure goes too high. I was not that surprised since Dr. Martin has been talking about this all along, but I would have felt better if she had been the one making the decision. So, I am home taking it easy and trying not to worry too much. I am really hoping I go into labor naturally rather than have to be induced. I felt like this was a little more likely when the doctor told me I was dilated 2cm already. He said that didn't mean anything, I could stay that way until I go into labor, but I felt better knowing my body is at least getting ready for the birth process. Here is a 9 month photo. I can't believe that shirt still fits over my belly!

2 comments:

  1. What a quality shirt that is! :) Keep up the baby growing, you're doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look GREAT Barbara! Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete